Saturday, May 26, 2012

Am I Depressed?


According to statistics 70% of bulimics also suffer from depression. Scientific Daily reports that a lot of bulimics suffer from dysthymia. I know what those two mental illnesses are, and chances are if you’re bulimic you know as well, but these two articles along with being exposed to clinically depressed people who have spoken about how they feel have made me reconsider my diagnosis. I don’t think I’m depressed, but then again a lot of the time I don’t necessarily enjoy everything I do either. The depressed people I’ve observed in the clinic don’t seem overtly depressed but rather ambivalent.
I keep reminding myself that I’m not depressed. I don’t want to be depressed. But the way the mental health field defines depression is such a gray area that I could in fact have a mood disorder and simply be ignoring it.
Just something to watch out for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate it :)