Monday, May 21, 2012

Writing Helps


My main reason for doing this blog is because I want to reach out to at least one other person who’s going through what I’m going through, and I hope this blog can be a source of help to someone out there, someday. However, a less major reason for doing this is so that I have a reason to write about my bulimia.
Writing stuff about it does kind of alleviate some of the feelings I have this illness. It doesn’t really make m change my behaviors, but it’s therapeutic to write the feelings I have about it down. Putting it in blog format just incentivizes the writing process, since if I’m sharing information there’s more reason to write it.
I didn’t think writing about it would help so much. I’ve kept a diary for a looong time, so as soon as I started being bulimic I did write about it, but when I switched from pen and paper to a computer it was so much easier to write everything down that I wanted to say, and writing turned from a chore to more of a pleasure again. Once I did this, I could get down every single feeling I had and as soon as I finished an entry and closed the page, all the bad feelings sort of washed away. I can’t explain why, but it works for me. I recommend writing things in a diary, because even if you have told someone about your illness, they’ll get overwhelmed if you talk about it as much as you need to. A diary will always be open to your thoughts, no matter how often you’re down or how often you talk about sticking your fingers down your throat. Of course, telling a live person will help more than a diary ever will, but a diary is at least something, if you feel like you can’t tell anyone else yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate it :)