Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Suicide is a Selfish Act


My group therapist thinks that suicide is a selfish act. It takes the burden off your own shoulders but puts a much bigger burden on everyone around you that they have to carry for the rest of their lives.
I’ve been suicidal, and the only thing that kept me from trying was knowing that if I died it would destroy my mother’s life. I didn’t think suicide was selfish until my therapist mentioned it was, but I’m inclined to agree with her.
This view implies that people that commit suicide are selfish, or that people that want to commit suicide are selfish and people that attempt suicide are selfish.
It’s an interesting paradox because often nothing could be further from the truth. In my own experience one of the reasons I wanted to kill myself was because I believed the world would be a better place without me in it. (I still believe that, by the way) Suicide is driven by emotions, not rational thought.
That’s why it’s important to realize that suicide is a selfish act when your mind is more rational. And then when you’re deep in the shithole even if you don’t believe it at the moment it’s something to repeat to yourself, something you know you’ll believe eventually that will help keep you alive.
Thoguhts?

5 comments:

  1. I think that suicide is selfish, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to do it sometimes because as you said, I really and genuinely believed that everyone is better off without me, that by existing I would be a burden to them.

    Nice to meet you Emily :)

    Love,
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is selfish. If I killed myself just so I didn't have to bear life, I would leave behind a man who wanted to spend the rest of my life with me, and have children with me. I would leave behind 2 dogs who love me more than the entire world, I would leave behind a mother who would hate herself for anything she'd ever done to me, and a father who would undoubtedly kill himself from losing me and leave my little sister to be all alone in the world.
    But if I can bear the day, choose to stay alive, I give all of those people a reason to live, a reason to be happy, and that sometimes in itself makes me happy and makes me hopeful for another day.
    Even though I suffer, I know I make others happy & that to me is more important than my own happiness. My boyfriend, my dogs, my family, they are more important than myself. That is selflessness, that is unselfish love.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to agree with Kay. I've lost many friends to suicide and have even attempted it myself twice. But had I chosen to commit suicide, I would have lost the chance to have my beautiful children, the love of my life, and a loving mother and father in law. I've heard for the longest time that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Because like you said, when you feel like you can't climb out of that hole, the only way out is suicide. But think about all the people that would be affected. So yes, I agree, it is selfish.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that it is selfish in the way that everyone around you has to deal with coping without you. You might end your life, but you also kinda destroy your family and friends lives as well. So I think it's selfish in that way. However, I don't think it's selfish to want to end all the horrible things you're going through. I don't think the actual person that attempts or successfully commits suicide is selfish because more often than not, suicide is the last thing they attempt in order to deal with things. Suicide just isn't rational.

    It's a selfish act, but the person isn't selfish. Though I guess they are in one tiny way because they're, probably for the first time, thinking of themselves instead of others and putting what they feel/want to do first. I know that was the case each time I attempted suicide. But yeah. Selfish act, not a selfish person.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate it :)