Friday, July 19, 2013

Declaration of Self Esteem

by Virginia Satir


I am Me.
In all the world, there is no one else exactly like me. 
Everything that comes out of me is authentically mine, because I alone chose it.
I own everything about me: my body, my feelings, my mouth, my voice, all my actions, whether they be to others or myself. 
I own my fantasies, my dreams, my hopes, my fears. 
I own my triumphs and successes, all my failures and mistakes.
Because I own all of me, I can become intimately acquainted with me. By so doing, I can love me and be friendly with all my parts. 
I know there are aspects about myself that puzzle me, and other aspects that I do not know.
But as long as I am friendly and loving to myself, I can courageously and hopefully look for solutions to the puzzles and ways to find out more about me. 
However I look and sound, whatever I say and do, and whatever I think and feel at a given moment in time is authentically me. Later, if some parts of how I looked, sounded, thought, and felt turn out to be unfitting, I can discard that which is unfitting, keep the rest, and invent something new for that which I discarded. 
I can see, hear, feel, think, say, and do.
I have the tools to survive, to be close to others, to be productive, and to make sense and order out of the world of people and things outside of me. 
I own me, and therefore, I can engineer me. 
I am me, and I am okay.

1 comment:

  1. I have been doing a lot of reading about being your true self, living your life as you should. I the that sometimes I just along with things because I think it is easier. I have to try to ask myself if it is easier to fake it or be ME? Such a simple question.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate it :)